Our Schools History
Our School, was founded in 1895 at Lee on the Solent, Hampshire by William Higgs Colborne and James Cruickshank. A boys school, it was first named The Royal Naval School until the Navy requested that the name be changed and Edinburgh House was adopted around 1905. The school remained at Lee on the Solent until the war when it moved first to Wellington School, Somerset in 1940 and then in 1942 to Brightwell Baldwin in Oxfordshire. Meanwhile our present School house with stable block and cottages was built in 1904 by an American family called Ubsell. In 1924 they moved out of the main house and into Great Ballard Cottage. Great Ballard School took a lease of the estate from the Ubsdell family and occupied it until 1940 when the army requisitioned the house and grounds. Great Ballard School moved three times finally settling at Eartham near Chichester. After the War, Edward Kefford who had been Deputy Headmaster of Great Ballard School in 1935, married local girl Evelyn Burt in 1936 and then joined Stuart Cruickshank as joint headmaster of Edinburgh House the same year. Together they took a lease of Great Ballard Estate in 1945 and moved the school here in January 1946. Since then many changes and much building work has taken place. By 1951 dayboys were admitted and In 1969 Edinburgh House School merged with Gorse Cliff and Marchwood Park Schools. In 1995 the girls of neighbouring Fernhill Manor School, which was then 75 years old, also merged with the boys of Edinburgh House and the combined school was named Ballard School.